Bryant House, Built Circa 1820
3361 Mount Carmel Road
James Bryant acquired the McLendon Place from his father Michael early in the 19th century with the McLendon Cabin already in place. Bryant later built the manor house there about 1820.
James Bryant's great-granddaughter, Flossie Bryant Davis and her children, gave the house with 3.4 acres to the Moore County Historical Association in 1969.
Restoration of the structure in the early 1970s included straightening of the chimneys and replacement of the shake roof.
Special features include two fine mantels, handmade doors and window sash, hand-hewn heart pine girders and sills. Neither dwelling had been altered prior to restoration and both had been continuously occupied until the 1940s.
Furnishings for the house were acquired for the Moore County Historical Association by Mrs. Ernest Ives, Mrs. John Labouisse and the Davis family.
Both the Bryant House and the McLendon Cabin were opened to the public in May 1976. Mrs. Davis, then 91 years old, attended the opening with several of her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Mrs. Davis was born and grew up in the house and raised her own family of six boys and seven girls there.