Garner House, Built Circa Late 1700s
Located at the Shaw House Properties
110 Morganton Road at the corner of SW Broad Street
The Garner House, now on the Shaw House grounds, was originally located on the property of Mrs. Melvin Garner, off State Road 1456 north of Robbins, North Carolina.
John Garner bought the land in 1764 and his son Lewis was born on the property. The Garner House was purchased by the Moore County Historical Association in 1986.
Family members believe Lewis built the house early in the 19th century, but it is possible that John may have built it in the 1700s.
The house is unaltered and intact and is one of the finest examples of the typical rural homes of early Moore County that remains today. It is distinguished by wide heart-pine paneling with fine quality moldings at the windows and doors. The original hand-forged hinges and posts are intact.
The walls of the three rooms on the ground floor are of unpainted, hand-planed pine boards which glow with the original patina. The interior doors have early cast hinges in contrast to the forged hardware on the exterior doors.
A corner stairway with winders leads to the second floor, which features exposed log construction and a fireplace with hand-made brick.
The large pine logs forming the structure are 13 to 16 inches wide and are hewn 7 to 8 inches thick. The house measures 20 by 24 feet and has an attached 8-by-24-foot porch. The stone and brick chimney opens to a fireplace on each floor.
The first floor features the original pegged mantels with early blue paint. Much of the furniture is original to the house, including the two painted cupboards and the scrubtop table. The painted sash is also original, and some of the original glass remains on the front of the building.
The house had a separate kitchen which was too deteriorated to move.