McLendon Cabin, Built Circa 1760
3361 Mount Carmel Road
When Joel McLendon came to Moore County, North Carolina, in 1758, to claim his grant of 200 acres, he selected a slope overlooking Buck Creek as the perfect site for his home.
Although a simple one-room log structure, it was built with the typical integrity of the early settlers that has preserved it for over 200 years.
A little farther downstream he built and operated a grist mill on Buck Creek, which became known as McLendon's Creek, just as the road below his cabin came to be called Joel's Road.
In 1787, McLendon sold his property to Robert Graham, whose daughter married Michael Bryant, and their son James succeeded to the land. When James Bryant constructed his larger house, he built it adjoining the McLendon Cabin, where the two houses sit to this day.
The McLendon Cabin is the oldest house in Moore County on its original location. The circa 1760 structure is typical of the log dwellings built by the early settlers of the region.
The house was restored in 1970 by the Moore County Historical Association under the leadership of Mrs. Ernest Ives.