Shaw House, Built Circa 1820
110 Morganton Road at the corner of SW Broad Street
The Historic Shaw House is located on its original foundation at the crossing of the famed Revolutionary Pee Dee and Morganton Roads at the southern entrance to Southern Pines, in Moore County, North Carolina.
The Pee Dee Road was an ancient Indian Trail and ran between Cheraw, South Carolina, and its northeastern settlements, while Morganton Road ran from the market town of Fayetteville, North Carolina, on the Cape Fear River.
The Shaw House is typical of the antebellum houses which followed the cabins of the early Sandhills settlers. It is less elaborate than the seacoast plantations and has the charm and sturdy simplicity which was characteristic of the Scottish families who settled in this region.
The interior is highlighted by fine detail on two hand-carved fireplace mantels of unusual beauty, and by many outstanding early examples of Moore County pottery and "plain-style" pine furniture.
A wing was added to the house in the mid-1800s and a kitchen was added sometime in the 1920s.
Charles C. Shaw, a first-generation Scottish settler, acquired 2,500 acres and built the house around 1820. The date of 1842 on the chimney is thought to have been the year that the front porch and the two attached "travelers' rooms" were added.
One of his 12 children, Charles Washington Shaw, inherited the property and lived in the house, becoming the first mayor of Southern Pines in 1887. The house remained in the Shaw family until it was acquired in 1946 by the newly formed Moore County Historical Association in a grassroots effort to ensure its preservation.